We are together again talking about care and feeding of the author inside you! Sadly, with technical difficulties.
Care and Feeding Show Notes
- Matt and Mur come to you live, actually in-person (well, the two of them are, anyway) from Morgan Freeman’s Outside OBGYN Clinic.
- Matt’s fictional uterus and a brief history of why we’re talking about it on this episode.
- Actually, Matt and Mur are at their yearly retreat in the backwoods of Ohio with friends and family, several of whom are in the audience during the recording of this episode.
- Matt and Mur introduce the topic of this episode, “the care and feeding of your author” (a topic suggested by Matt’s fiancée, Nikki).
- How writers and the writing industry/community emphasize doing the work over taking care of yourself, physically.
- Mur talks about how we romanticize the Hemingway-esque and Poe-esque stereotypes of the alcohol-soaked, depressed author and why that is obviously wrong and harmful.
- Self-care, how alcohol and writing don’t mix, and Matt’s unabashed love for Mott’s for Tots apple juice and how it can replace the former habit.
- Mur and Matt talk about smoking and drug abuse, citing writers like Joe Ezsterhaus and Stephen King as examples of how both invariably go disastrously wrong when you mix them with your career.
- The episode is cut abruptly short, and Mur explains why (and offers apologies, although we did the best we could).
Affiliate links to our books!