ENVY OF ANGELS giveaway: Email mightymur AT gmail and answer the question, “What are you doing besides writing to advance your writing career?” Best, most proactive answers win free copies of Matt’s new book dropping October 20th! Keep answers brief. No essays.
We welcome Mikki Kendall, writer of fiction, nonfiction, comics, and unintentionally viral social media tags (#solidarityisforwhitewomen) to the show to talk the freelance life, when to go pro, and what kind of baked goods gets you jobs.
HEY- don’t forget Matt and I will be at WorldCon, with a LIVE DITCH DIGGERS coming Thursday at noon! Those of you playing at home, there may be video.
– Recording in Morgan Freeman’s apiary and why you never upset Morgan’s bees.
– An overview of Mikki as a freelance writer.
– How Mikki landed her first comic book writing gig using social media, cupcakes, and very apparent writing ability, and how the comics writing process works.
– Creating the hashtag that propelled Mikki’s social media presence.
– The nuts and bolts of using social media to build a platform (which, in addition to complex sociopolitical issues, can and does include live-tweeting VH1’s “Love & Hip Hop” every Monday night).
– Dealing with the inevitable trolls across your social media presence.
– Moving forward once you blow up on social media.
– Dealing with editor’s notes (Mur tells her infamous “choad” story).
– Mikki agrees with Matt about the philosophical cross-applicability of the 1980’s Patrick Swayze classic ROAD HOUSE.
– Mikki’s decision to go freelance full-time, the logistics of how she and her husband arrived at that decision, and how she built up her freelance writing portfolio and presence beforehand.
– How to build a platform from scratch now in a post-social network age.
Matt and I got to see each other for the first time in years a couple weekends back, where we drank, played games, and then recorded in a rather hungover way. Since we had traveled to get there, we figured we would talk travel.
[NOTE- I’ve fixed the audio problems. If you didn’t like the split channels, please re-download this new file. –ML]
Author powerhouses Kameron Hurley and Chuck Wendig return to Ditch Diggers, this time answering questions from Twitter. We got a lot of questions, so the show ran long, and I cut it into TWO episodes, so you get MORE Hurley and Wendig next week! Whoa!
Matt and I discuss writing to the market, writing for money instead of art, and answer your questions. It’s a short one, because the next one is a super-long episode with Gail Carriger! And it drops very very soon!
You totally want our books: (affiliate)
Support the Podcast!
Get Transcripts from the Murverse! (Um, a mailing list)
New from Mur
(Amazon affiliate link)
One of my recent works, Story Hoard, is a fantasy roleplaying adventure in the upcoming Worldspinner fantasy map making tool! Find it at Worldspinner.com