Prince Humperdinck: [sincerely] Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I’ve got my country’s 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I’m swamped.
Count Rugen: Get some rest. If you haven’t got your health, then you haven’t got anything.
~The Princess Bride
Spoilers for Hannibal Season Two below the cut.
I’m loving nearly everything about Hannibal. Coming into the series late, I am catching up fast. But when the Miriam plotline came to a head, I was fascinated, but something rang untrue.
Let’s look at the list: Hannibal Lecter does the following in his day to day life:
- Dresses in full suits (I understand this takes more time than a tshirt and jeans- And I expect he has them pressed as well?)
- Cooks gourmet meals for himself and others
- Murders, butchers, and preserves rude people
- Has a psychiatry practice – and apparently he does all the admin himself as we don’t see any office workers, so there’s paperwork and stuff.
- Sees a psychiatrist of his own (for part of the season anyway)
- Attends the theater
- Practices and composes harpsichord music
- Practices art
- Aids the FBI
- Read’s Freddie Lounds’ blog
- And THEN we find out he’s not only caring for a hostage of 2 years, but is successfully brainwashing her
Most everyone I know doesn’t even have half that to worry about, and they complain that their life is too busy (myself included). And yet Hannibal is very relaxed about everyhing. Even when he stays up all night to murder someone, butcher them, and work on an intricate tableau on which to present the body, he still manages to seem fresh and ready to make gourmet coffee with his fancyass vacuum coffee machine the next day.
Totally want one of those, by the way.
I’ll buy that he can do all of this, that he is almost supernaturally good at manipulation and presuasion and cooking and smelling and murdering and not-leaving-evidence-behind. My suspension of disbelief is shattered when I try to think how he manages to do all of this by himself. Sure, he doesn’t appear to have a tablet or smartphone to distract him with Plants vs Zombies 2, but still.
[EDIT- We're not done with the season; we have one episode left. Just got to see Mason do ghastly things to himself. So please don't spoil the season in the comments!]