Ditch Diggers #44: Gavia Baker-Whitelaw and Freelance Ditches
How to dig freelance ditches
And what are freelance ditches anyway?
- Mur and Matt come to you live from Morgan Freeman’s Pop Culture Popcorn Boutique, and Mur actually lets Matt do the intros.
- The Ditch Diggers welcome special guest co-host, staff writer for The Daily Dot and pop culture analyst extraordinaire, Gavia Baker-Whitelaw!
- Everyone immediately agrees that Gavia’s mom would make the best agent ever, and that would also be her pro-wrestling gimmick.
- Gavia talks about being a full-time writer for The Daily Dot and her areas of expertise.
- Matt asks Gavia what makes a good cultural criticism writer, and Gavia does her best to answer such a broad question.
- Gavia talks about how livejournal fanfiction led to her current career, how she selects topics to cover, and the life of a piece at The Daily Dot.
- Gavia talks about her side project The Rec Center and being steeped in fandom as a writer.
- The validity of liquids in sandwiches, and the validity of fanfiction as a writing medium.
- Twitter Q&A, including how a book, movie, etc. gets the attention of a market like The Daily Dot.
Links of interest:
Note: Mur will be appearing at WorldCon in Helsinki in a few weeks and doing a LIVE Ditch Diggers with writer and publisher Alasdair Stuart standing in for Matt (with Matt’s approval, naturally. We’re not staging a coup to replace Matt even though Al does have a better accent.) See my program here!
Affiliate links to our books!