Ditch Diggers #39: Lexi Alexander and Punching Hollywood. Metaphorically.
- Mur and Matt come to you live from Morgan Freeman’s Dojo (where we’re punching Hollywood) with special guest co-host writer, director, and martial artist Lexi Alexander!
- Lexi is excited to talk about the writing side of her career as a director of films like Green Street Hooligans, Punisher: War Zone, the Oscar-nominated Johnny Flynton, and pretty much ALL of the TV series.
- How we needlessly shake the confidence of English-as-a-second-language writers in America. How a chance encounter with Quentin Tarantino cured Lexi of that self-confidence issue.
- Lexi recounts how she began her career as a writer and filmmaker. (It involves Chuck Norris. No, seriously).
- It’s easier to be accepted as a woman in a martial arts/competitive combat sports environment than it is to be accepted as a female filmmaker in Hollywood.
- Lexi talks about the many challenges women writers and directors face in the entertainment industry. She includes her own experiences.
- Lexi tells the Ditch Diggers about her recently sold pilot script, the process of writing it, and what inspired/motivated both.
- Lexi talks about what stopped her from writing for a long time, how she almost left the business to become a war correspondent, and what brought her back.
- Mur asks about the difference between working on your own film projects and writing/adapting the work and ideas of others, and how you survive doing both.
- Lexi takes questions from Twitter!
- Mur and Matt attempt unsuccessfully to end the show several times, but Lexi is just too damn enthusiastic and complimentary about everyone. (New goal: Get both Cory Doctorow and Lexi on the show together.)
Ditch Diggers theme music provided by Devo Spice
Buy the books! Support the Ditch Diggers! (affiliate)