Ditch Diggers #033 —
DD033 Etiquette and Protocol
with Matt Wallace
From Morgan Freeman's holiday decorations vault, we cover etiquette just like C3PO.
- Mur and Matt come to you live from Morgan Freeman's holiday decorations vault, after Mur cracked said vault (we didn't know Mur was a safecracker).
- Mur talks about her brief absence from podcasting during the holidays, during which she recorded the audiobook for her new novel, SIX WAKES (Orbit, Jan. 31st), which also received a starred review from Publishers Weekly in that time.
- All the books Matt and Mur have coming out in the beginning of 2017, including SIX WAKES, IDLE INGREDIENTS, and Bookburners.
- Matt still sucks at segues.
- Matt and Mur discuss professional ethics for freelancers, more specifically the choices you'll make for your career and your brand as a creator. Matt names names.
- A brief interlude to catch up with Mur's dog and also her Orson Welles-voiced husband, Jim.
- Matt talks about his experiences with advertisers paying for space on his platform, both refusing money and regretting having taken it, and what he's learned from both.
- Mur talks about being paid to personally endorse ad content vs. selling advertising time on her podcasts, and the difference between doing both, as well as click-bait ads on personal blogs.
- Matt offers a positive example of using your platform for advertising and monetary gain.
- Mur talks about ethical blurbing for authors.
- Matt and Mur switch gears and talk about professional ethics from the side of those who hire freelance writers and creators, focusing on the internet.
- Matt offers an example of markets with no morals or ethics via his recent, very public brawl with movie news and low-grade paparazzi stalker porn website JoBlo.com
- Mur talks about her experiences with unscrupulous games publishers.
- Twitter Q&A! Matt and Mur answer questions about Brexit's effect on the publishing industry, foreign editions of author's books, and more.
- Finally, it's awards season and Ditch Diggers is again eligible for the Best Fancast Hugo! Hugo voters, take note.
The fine print:
Theme music by Devo Spice.
Ditch Diggers #033 by Mur Lafferty is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License